Are you tired of struggling with malfunctioning switches on hot swappable keyboard? Look no further! In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of removing and replacing switches on your hot-swappable keyboard, ensuring a seamless and hassle-free experience.
Get ready to reclaim the joy of typing with a keyboard that’s tailored to your preferences. Let’s dive in and unlock the secrets to removing and replacing switches on your hot-swappable keyboard with precision and ease.
What is a Hot-Swappable Keyboard?
A hot-swappable keyboard is a type of mechanical keyboard that allows you to easily replace or swap out individual switches without the need for soldering or desoldering.
This means that you can easily customize the feel and sound of your keyboard by swapping out the switches.
To change a switch on a hot-swappable keyboard, you will need a switch puller. This is a small tool that helps you to remove the switches from the keyboard. Once the switches are removed, you can simply plug in new switches.
Traditional mechanical keyboards require soldering to attach switches to the keyboard’s circuit board, making it difficult and time-consuming to change switches.
Hot-swappable keyboards feature a unique design that incorporates sockets or connectors on the circuit board. These sockets allow you to insert and remove switches by simply pulling them out or pushing them in, similar to inserting or removing a USB device.
What are the benefits of using hot-swappable switches?
There are several benefits to using hot-swappable switches,
- Ease of customization: You can easily change the switches on your keyboard without having to desolder the old switches. This makes it easy to try out different switches and find the perfect ones for your needs.
- No soldering required: If you are not comfortable with soldering, then hot-swappable switches are a great option. You can easily change the switches on your keyboard without having to learn how to solder.
- Versatility: Hot-swappable switches allow you to try out different types of switches. This can help you to find the perfect switches for your needs.
What are the drawbacks of using hot-swappable switches?
There are a few drawbacks to using hot-swappable switches,
- Cost: Hot-swappable keyboards tend to be more expensive than non-hot-swappable keyboards.
- Compatibility: Not all hot-swappable keyboards are compatible with all switches.
- Complexity: Hot-swappable keyboards can be more complex to assemble than non-hot-swappable keyboards.
Are your Switches Compatible with a Hot-Swap Keyboard?
If you are using industry-standard 3 Pin Or 5-pin PCB mount design, These switches will work with any hot-swappable keyboard that supports 3 Pin or 5-pin switches.
There are two main types of switches that are compatible with hot-swappable keyboards: 3-pin and 5-pin switches.
- 3-pin switches are the most common type of switch that is compatible with hot-swappable keyboards. They have three legs that plug into the PCB.
- 5-pin switches have an extra two legs that provide additional stability. They are not as common as 3-pin switches, but they are becoming more popular.
If you are using a hot-swappable keyboard that only supports 3-pin switches, you can still use our switches. You can use switch-top removal tool, so you can easily remove the plastic pins from the bottom of our switches. This will allow you to use our switches in a 3-pin hot-swappable keyboard.
WHY Should You Change Your Mechanical Keyboard Switches?
There are many reasons why you might want to change the switches on your mechanical keyboard. Here are a few of the most common reasons:
Do you want a different feel or sound:
Mechanical switches come in a variety of feels and sounds, so if you’re not happy with the way your current switches feel or sound, you can change them to something different.
For example, if you find that your current switches are too light or too heavy, you can change them to a different spring weight. Or, if you find that your current switches are too clicky or too quiet, you can change them to a different type of switch.
Your switches are broken:
If your switches are broken, you’ll need to change them in order to use your keyboard. This is especially important if your switches are clicky, as the clicky sound is produced by a small piece of plastic that can break easily.
You want to try new switches:
There are many different types of mechanical switches available, so if you’re curious about what they all feel and sound like, you can change your switches to try them out. This is a great way to find the perfect switches for your needs.
Customization and Experimentation:
Switching out your keyboard switches opens up a world of customization possibilities. You can mix and match different switch types on your keyboard, creating a unique typing experience for each key.
Also, it allows you to experiment with new switch brands, variants, or modifications to find the perfect combination that suits your needs.
Enhanced Typing Experience:
Switching to a different switch type can significantly enhance your typing experience. For example, if you find your current switches too stiff or tiring, switching to a lighter switch with a lower actuation force can make typing more comfortable and reduce finger fatigue.
If you’re thinking about changing the switches on your mechanical keyboard, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
Make sure that your keyboard is hot-swappable. If it’s not, you’ll need to desolder the old switches and solder in new ones.
And Also make sure that you buy the right type of switches for your keyboard. Not all switches are compatible with all keyboards. Take your time and experiment with different switches until you find the perfect ones for you.
What are The Tools that Needed for changing switches?
To replace switches in your hot-swappable keyboard, you will need the following tools and equipment:
Make sure you have the desired replacement switches that are compatible with your hot-swappable keyboard. Ensure they are of the correct type, such as Cherry MX, Gateron, or Kailh switches.
A keycap puller is a small tool designed to safely remove keycaps from the keyboard. It helps in accessing the switches underneath the keycaps. Ensure you have a keycap puller that is suitable for your keyboard’s keycap design.
Tweezers or Switch Puller:
Tweezers or a switch puller can be handy for removing switches from the keyboard’s hot-swappable sockets. These tools provide a firm grip on the switch and allow for easy extraction without damaging the keyboard or the switch itself.
If you want to improve the smoothness and feel of your switches, you may consider using a lubricant designed for mechanical switches. Lubricating the switch housings can enhance their performance and reduce friction and noise.
Compressed Air (Optional):
Compressed air can be used to clean the keyboard and remove any dust or debris that may have accumulated in the switch sockets. It’s a good idea to clean the sockets before installing new switches.
Work Area and Lighting:
Find a clean, well-lit workspace where you can comfortably work on your keyboard. Having good lighting will help you see the switches and sockets clearly and ensure accurate replacement.
Remember to refer to your keyboard’s user manual or manufacturer’s instructions for any specific tools or procedures recommended for your particular hot-swappable keyboard model.
How To Remove Replace Switches on Hot Swappable Keyboard? Full Guide
Here is a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to remove switches from your hot-swappable keyboard:
1. Gather the necessary tools and replacement switches mentioned earlier.
2. Power off your computer or disconnect your keyboard from the device for safety.
3. Locate the keycap(s) that you want to remove. You can start with a single key or remove all the keycaps if you plan to replace multiple switches.
4. Use a keycap puller to gently and evenly pull the keycap straight up. Apply equal pressure on both sides to avoid bending or damaging the keycap.
5. Once the keycap is removed, you will see the switch underneath. Take a moment to inspect the switch and note its orientation.
6. Using tweezers or a switch puller, grip the sides of the switch firmly near the base. Avoid pulling on the stem or any other delicate components.
7. Slowly and steadily pull the switch straight up and out of the socket. Be gentle to prevent any damage to the keyboard PCB or the switch itself.
8. Repeat the process for any other switches you wish to remove. Take your time and work methodically to ensure a smooth transition.
9. If you encounter resistance while removing a switch, double-check that you are gripping it correctly and not forcing it in the wrong direction. Applying excessive force can cause damage.
10. Once all the desired switches are removed, you can proceed to install the new switches following the reverse order of the removal process. Ensure the orientation of the new switches matches the original ones.
11. Insert the new switch into the hot-swappable socket, aligning the pins or legs with the corresponding holes on the PCB. Apply gentle pressure until the switch clicks into place. Ensure it is fully inserted and seated correctly.
12. Repeat the switch replacement process for each switch you removed, taking care to align and insert them properly.
13. Once all the new switches are in place, it’s time to reattach the keycaps. Simply position the keycap over the switch stem and press it down firmly until it clicks into place.
14 Test each key to ensure proper functionality. Press each key and verify that it registers the keystroke correctly on your computer.
15. Reconnect your keyboard to your computer or turn on your computer if it was powered off.
Congratulations! You have successfully removed and replaced switches on your hot-swappable keyboard. Enjoy your refreshed typing or gaming experience with the new switches.
Don’t Forget to Follow Below Video.
Do you need to solder hot-swappable switches?
No, you do not need to solder hot-swappable switches. The whole concept of hot-swappable switches is to provide a solder-free solution for replacing or swapping switches on a mechanical keyboard.
Hot-swappable keyboards feature special sockets or connectors on the PCB (printed circuit board) that allow you to easily insert and remove switches without any soldering.
These sockets are designed to securely hold the switches in place and establish the electrical connection between the switch and the keyboard’s circuitry.
This means that you can replace or swap out switches by simply pulling them out or pushing them in, similar to inserting or removing a USB device.
Hot-swappable keyboards offer convenience and flexibility, allowing users to experiment with different switch types, and brands, or even create custom switch configurations without the need for soldering equipment or expertise.
It’s a user-friendly feature that has gained popularity among keyboard enthusiasts and users who want to customize their typing experience.
Today I explored the world of hot-swappable keyboards and the process of removing and replacing switches. I explained to you that hot-swappable keyboards allow for easy switch replacement without the need for soldering
hot-swappable keyboards have revolutionized the way we customize and maintain our mechanical keyboards. The ability to easily remove and replace switches provides a level of flexibility and convenience that was previously unavailable.
By following the step-by-step guide and having the right tools at hand, anyone can confidently embark on the journey of switch replacement. Embrace the freedom of customization and unlock a world of possibilities with hot-swappable keyboards.
Don’t forget to share it.
Hi, I AM jack Liam a Professional Blogger and Graduate in Information Technology. Here I solve The Problems Related to Computers With Greate Working Experience in IT Industry